Monthly, we try to update you on the cons in driving distance a little more in-depth than our weekly con feature. (These are the cons we know about….let us know if we are not covering a con that is near New Orleans!).
Louisiana Comic Con (The CajunDome, Lafayette, October 6&7): One of the great things about Louisiana Comic Con is that not only do they announce guests with their excellent Facebook posts, but they also do vendor spotlights. One of the hardest things to do at a con is to find out what vendors are at a con. A map ahead of time is great, but actual details about a vendor is a godsend. It lets you plan the day better and if you are anything like us your days are usually planned to the brim. So go check out their Facebook page!
Gulf Coast Fan Fest (Mississippi Coast Convention Center, Biloxi, October 13 & 14): Scout Taylor-Compton, who played Laurie Strode in Rob Zombie’s Halloween movies, will be in Biloxi. I’m really excited about this because I started a Zombie Halloween poster with Taylor Mane (he played Michael Meyers in those films) at Pensacon a few years back. Joining her will be Kent McCord, a veteran TV actor whose credits include Glactica 1980 and Farscape. This con will be something special for the Mississippi Gulf Coast and we can’t wait.
Pensacon (Downtown Pensacola, Pensacola, February 22-24, 2019): If you are frequent reader of this blog, you know that we are practically in love with Pensacon. Like the 11th Doctor was with his Tardis. Well, look at the guest list for this February con in July and you will know why. They keep adding great names. Lucy Davis, from The Office UK, Shaun of the Dead, and Wonder Woman will be there. She nearly stole Wonder Woman away from Gal Gadot and that is no small feat! Alan Oppenheimer, the voice of Skeletor, will be in Pensacola. The Sixth Doctor, Colin Baker, will be appearing at Pensacon again at the 2019 con. Fans of Berry Gordy’s The Last Dragon will be pleased to meet Taimak. Also, Jeremy Davies, a favorite of the Nola Nerd Couple will be at Pensacon. Now, what do we get signed…a Saving Private Ryan picture or a Lost picture of him as Daniel Faraday. We missed Pensacon last year because it was the same weekend as the Nola Nerd Baby’s birth…which means she will be turning one at the con this year! We can’t wait.
Mississippi Comic Con (MS Trade Mart in Jackson, Mississippi, June 23-24):
We didn’t make it to the Mississippi Comic-Con this year because this little cutie had her baptism.
We wanted to attend. Meeting Linda Blair would have been awesome, and we just finished watching The Office so meeting Kate Flannery would have been a great start to a collection for that franchise.
Since we didn’t make it to the con, here are a few links to stories about the con:
A set of articles from the Starkville Daily News (Hail State!) about a young man who operates a lemonade stand to make it to the Mississippi Comic-Con. (1, 2, and 3)
An excellent walk through the show floor! (Check out the youtube channel for more great stuff!)
Louisiana Comic Con (The CajunDome, Lafayette, October 6&7): Ryan Hurst from Remember the Titans and Sons of Anarchy will be appearing at the con. We met him at the Space City Comic Con, and it was one of the highlights of that trip to Houston. Also appearing will be designer and illustrator Kathryn Shuff. You can see more of her stuff here.
Gulf Coast Fan Fest (Mississippi Coast Convention Center, Biloxi, October 13 & 14): Hercules! Hercules! – Kevin Sorbo will be making an appearance at Gulf Coast Fan Fest. He will be joining Ray Park, Sam Jones, Peter Davison, Jason Mewes, Denise Crosby, and Seth Gilliam. This is going to be a great con, and we can’t wait for it!
Pensacon (Downtown Pensacola, Pensacola, February 22-24, 2019): I don’t know how Pensacon does it, but they get guests announced for their next con as soon as they present one closes. Ok, we do know how they do it. They treat their guests fantastically and equally. Artist Tony Isabella has remarked to us how wonderful he gets treated at this con. It shows in the guests that they get. I wouldn’t be surprised if plenty of artists and celebrity guests spread the wonderfulness of Pensacon amongst themselves. Here are just a few of the guests announced for 219: Kevin Conroy, Jonathan Frakes, Catherine Tate, Orlando Jones, Timothy Zahn, Charles Fleischer, Sean Gunn, Paul Freeman, Julian Glover, Diamond Dallas Page, Karen Allen. This is about one-fourth of the people they have announced. We will go through them more as we get closer to the con. Also, it will be Nola Nerd Baby’s first birthday on the Friday of Pensacon! She will think it’s a giant party for her!
One of our favorite cons to attend is Pensacon, in Pensacola, FL. Not only are the workers and volunteers some of the nicest that we have ever encountered at a con, but they consistently get good guests, have quality panels, and supplement those with people from Escambia Amateur Astronomers Association with telescopes, West Florida Public Libraries conducting Superhero Training for kids, a gaming room with tons of different games being played all day (both tabletop and video), and The SCA (Society of Creative Anachronism), who recreate the arts and skills of pre-17th-century Europe. And this is just the tip of the iceberg.
It is not just the Pensacola Bay Center that gets involved; instead, the entire town takes part in the fun, from the airport to the restaurants. You can fly into Pensacola Intergalactic Airport and have lunch at the Star Trek Holodeck at Atlas Oyster House, where you could take a photo in the Captain’s chair and check out original props while you drink a James Tea Kirk or a Spock’s Mojito. Dinner could be at Nintendo at The Tin Cow, where you could eat Bob-omb Nachos or a Koopa Burger, drink Lon Lon Milk, or have a spiked shake like Yoshi’s Cookie and the Princess Peach. Everything downtown is walkable, so you do not have to worry if you imbibe in too much Milk of Poppy or Basilisk Blood at The Cabaret. Larger guest panels take place at various established around the town, like the Saenger Theatre, Pensacola Little Theatre, and the Rex Theatre. It truly is a wonderful weekend.
Images from Pensacon 2017.
This year, we finally scored a room at the Pensacola Grand Hotel across the street from the Bay Center. Not only is it the official host hotel, but they have panels there and many of the guests stay there as well. We were giddy with excitement to finally be in the thick of the action day and night. If you read my previous blogs on Introducing: Nola Nerd Baby, you will know that I became pregnant in June 2017, which put my due date two weeks after Pensacon. I remained hopeful that even though I would be 38 weeks pregnant, I could take the three hour drive to Pensacola and attend. We had the host hotel, I could always just walk back to our room if I became tired. Right? Oh so wrong.
My doctor diagnosed me with preeclampsia and admitted me into the hospital on February 20th. I had my daughter on Thursday, February 22nd. Pensacon was February 23rd-25th. Needless to say, either one of us going was unfortunately out of the question.
There were so many guests this year that I was looking forward to meeting! A brief list:
- Adam Brown: Ori in The Hobbit trilogy. I started dwarf poster and adding him would have been cool.
- Arthur Darvill: Rory Williams in Doctor Who and Rip Hunter in Legends of Tomorrow. Rory is my absolute favorite companion (yes, he is a companion!) because his undying love for Amy Pond reminds me so much of my husband’s love for me.
- Barbara Hershey: Cora Mills on Once Upon a Time and Ann Rutledge on Damien. I loved her on OUAT and the short-lived but amazing Damien, while my husband loved her from The Entity. She plays villainous so well.
- Camille Coduri: Jackie Tyler on Doctor Who. I loved Rose’s family and Camille brought such a sweet comedy to her character.
- Chris Sarandon: Prince Humperdinck in The Princess Bride, voice of Jack Skellington in The Nightmare Before Christmas. TNBC is one of my all time favorite movies and I am itching to start a poster with all of the cast on it.
- Claudia Gray: author of Star Wars novels, like Bloodline. I intend to read all of the new canon SW novels, so she would be cool to meet.
- Hugh Spight: Gamorean guard and an Elom monster in Star Wars: Return of the Jedi. I probably have more Star Wars autographs than any other fandom. Even the background characters.
- Ian McElhinney: Ser Barristan Selmy in Game of Thrones and General Dodonna in Rogue One: A Star Wars Story. Two of my top fandoms so I really wanted multiple signatures from him!
- Jason Isaacs: Lucius Malfoy in the Harry Potter films, The Grand Inquisitor in Star Wars Rebels, and Captain Gabriel Lorca on Star Trek: Discovery. Even though I want his autograph for all of these characters, the amazing Lucius Malfoy would have be first. He was amazing in that role.
- John de Lancie: Q in the Star Trek universe and the voice of Discord on My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic. Discord is my favorite character on MLP.
- Pom Klementieff: Mantis in Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2. I am a big MCU fan so I would have loved to add her to my collection.
- Seth Gilliam: Ellis Carver on The Wire. This is my husband’s number one fandom and the person he was looking forward to the most.
- Wai Ching Ho: Madame Gao in the Netflix Marvel universe. She gave us a shoutout!
This list does not even include the cool guests that we have already met:
- Tony Isabella: Creator of Black Lightning (now a television show!)
- Tommy Flanagan: Chibs on Sons of Anarchy
- Ryan Hurst: Opie on Sons of Anarchy
- Ray Park: Darth Maul in Star Wars: Episode I – The Phantom Menace
- Paul Blake: Greedo in Star Wars: Episode IV – A New Hope
- Lou Ferrigno: The Incredible Hulk
- John Barrowman: Capt. Jack Harkness on Doctor Who, Malcolm Merlyn on Arrow
- Jason David Frank: The original Green Power Ranger
- Ian Beattie: Meryn Trant on Game of Thrones (he gave us a shoutout!)
- Garrick Hagon: Red Three (Biggs) in Star Wars: Episode IV – A New Hope
- Charles Martinet: voice of Mario, Luigi, Wario, Waluigi, Baby Mario, and Baby Luigi.
- Brent Spiner: Data in Star Trek: The Next Generation
And these are just the ones I am interested in! Pensacon had over 100 guests!
Luckily, one of my best friends was going to the con and was able to be our correspondent. He wrote about his experience here (spoiler alert: he loved it). Next year, our daughter’s first birthday will be the Friday of Pensacon, which is February 22nd – 24th. Are we still going to go and celebrate her first birthday in Pensacola? You bet your sweet bippy we are! We cannot think of a better first birthday party for her, than to experience it with thousands of other like-minded people. She might think everyone is dressed up and having fun in honor of her birthday. And as far as I am concerned, they are. See you next year, Pensacon! We cannot wait to take our little Nola Nerd Baby!
If you have read our recent previous posts, you know that we had our first child on the Thursday before Pensacon; needless to say, we could not personally attend! Thankfully, we have a wonderful friend who went in our stead. Here is his great recap below:
Hello Nola Nerd Couple readers! I had the honor of filling in for the Nola Nerd Couple this year at Pensacon 2018 due to a new arrival, Nola Nerd Baby. So once I heard I would be heading to Pensacon, I immediately downloaded the Pensacon 2018 app on my phone to see all the things I was in store for. I arrived early to beat the Friday crowd to get a feel for this year’s layout and I was impressed how well the limited space was utilized. As Pensacon regulars know, the Pensacola Bay Center has a very unique floor plan, which I’m sure leads to many challenges for the Pensacon staff, but they successfully pulled off another great year.
Well, actually, con season is actually year round, but for us, it is usually busiest during the first four months.
First, there is Wizard World New Orleans. It is also one of the first cons of the year in the US taking place during the first full weekend in January. While we do more in-depth previews of the con in upcoming blogs, generally speaking, it is always a great con. For me, Wizard World New Orleans usually has some fantastic panels, including some on New Orleans itself. Also, it’s right in the center of everything. It’s at the foot of the CBD and a short walk to the French Quarter. Unlike a lot of other cons, you aren’t stuck eating con food since you have world class restaurants just a few blocks away.
The next con we usually attend is Pensacon. Pensacola is a quick drive from NOLA if you want to make to make just a one day trip. However, we totally recommend going all three days. Pensacola hosts Pensacon with events occurring all over the downtown area. Plus, their guest lists always has something for almost every fandom there is. This con is a couple of weeks before Miss Nola Nerd Baby is due, so who knows…she might make her world premiere in Florida!
Usually, the next con for us is Star Wars Celebration, but there will not be one this year. This is great for us because Miss Nola Nerd Baby will be here and we will be too busy spoiling her to have attended this year. But we do have some cosplay ideas for 2019 that involve her!
She might make her first appearance at Comicpalooza. We had such a great time last year at the con that we would love to go again. We were part of their podcast series and did one live on the floor and had a great time doing it.
But it’s too soon to plan that trip. If she’s like me, she will be a fussy baby. If she’s like her mom, she will be perfect. 🙂
Basically, the point of this blog is that going to cons is part of who we are. We want that to be part of who is as well. We want her to get hooked on comics and nerdy stuff. We will spend less money on these cons because of her, but we still will go. We have to be the people we are to be the parents we want to be. A lot of the things I love and a lot of the things Mrs. Nola Nerd Couple loves are things that our parents enjoyed.
So see you at a con!
MegaCon has been steadily adding guests to its lineup. Here are the latest additions:
- Gina Torres: A fixture in the Whedonverse, she has had pivotal roles in Firefly and Angel. ( Which is also the two fandoms I need signatures for!)
- Tom Wilson: We met Mr. Wilson at another con recently and he is nothing like Buff ‘Mad Dog’ Tannen in Back to the Future. If you are looking to do a Back to the Future autograph collection (and almost everyone does cons from time to time), Mr. Wilson is a must get.
- Jeri Ryan: All fans of Star Trek will be lining up to get Mr. Ryan (“Seven of Nine” from Voyager).
- Matthew Lewis: The Harry Potter star turned heartthrob who once received a twitter request from Ms. Rowlings to put his close back on (warning: link will lead to a scantily clad Mr. Lewis), will be at MegaCon. His line may be long mainly due to swooning from admirers.
- Ray Park: The martial arts expert and former Sith Lord, Ray Park will be at MegaCon. He was also in X-Men films (the first set).
- Spencer Wilding: Mr. Wilding is one of the new men to suit up as the Dark Lord of the Sith, Lord Vader in Rogue One. He has also had roles in Doctor Who and Guardians of the Galaxy.
- Elyes Gabel: The star of the TV series Scorpion will be in Orlando.
- Richard Dean Anderson: Mr. Anderson has been involved in the different Star Gate franchises and is well known for his creation of MacGyver.
ComicPalooza is coming up in May as well. We already have our hotel booked.
- Amy Jo Johnson: The only Power Ranger I knew by real name before I went to cons (and that was because of Felicity). I was just the wrong age to watch Power Rangers.
- Steve LeiaLoaha: This iconic inker has worked for Marvel and DC. His work on Fables earned him an Eisner.
- Rodger Bumpass: Celebrated voice actor, Roger Bumpass will be at Comicpalooza. He has brought to life Squidward Tentacles in SpongeBob as well as doing voice work in Teen Titans.
- Bill Fagerbakke: Joining his SquareBob co-star Mr. Bumpass, Mr. Fagerbakke will make an apperance at Comicpalooza. He was also fan favorite Dauber on Coach, and was Marshall’s dad on How I Met Your Mother.
Pensacon just ended, right? That doesn’t stop the producers from adding guests for 2018!
- Danny Tamberelli & Michael Maronna: Pete and Pete from the hit Nickelodeon show (which I remember because Michael Stipe was a weird ice cream salesman one episode) will be at Pensacon.
- Lita: Pensacon always gets great wrestling talent and Hall of Famer Lita is no exception.
- Frazer Hines: The second Doctor’s companion will be at Pensacon.
- Paul Blake: The man behind the bounty hunter who shot first, Greedo, will be appearing at Pensacon.
- Lou Ferrigno: The Incredible Hulk himself will be appearing at Pensacon.
- Ian McElhinney: When Pensacon announced they would have a Game of Thrones character who never appeared at a US Con, we racked our brains on who it could be. I was rooting for Donald Sumpter, but Mrs. Nola Nerd Couple knew it would be Mr. McElhinney. Not only is he one of our favorite characters on Game of Thrones, he is also General Dodonna in Rogue One.