The Louisiana Comic Con in Lafayette will take place this weekend. We are excited and so should you be!
One of the best things about any con is the panels. Here is the panel schedule:
As you can tell, the celebrity guests are going to be on the main stage. The Panel Room, however, offers something different for con goers. These panels cover a full range of topics from cosplaying, writing, and drawing.
We hope to see you at one of the panels!
Our friends at Outside the Long Box alway say how we go to cons more than anyone they know. But you know what? They have been to Dragon Con, and we haven’t.
And unfortunately, we won’t be able to go again this year. This is a shame because this con places an enormous amount of importance on creators and especially authors. It truly is a reading nerds con.
If we were going, here is just a few of the people we would want to meet:
- Kevin Anderson: Star Wars author
- John Barrowman: Would love to get a Malcolm Merlyn signed picture
- Julie Benz: I really want to start a Dexter poster, and I already have her signature for Buffy.
- Alton Brown: The guy behind Good Eats!
- Charisma Carpenter: One of the few Buffy people I haven’t met yet.
- Amanda Conner: While we have some Harley books signed, we always have more.
- Brett Dalton: Would love to add him to our Agents of Shield collection
- Kelly Sue DeConnick: Again, plenty of comics to have her signed
- Matt Fraction: His Hawkeye may be my favorite comic not named Watchmen
- Karen Gillian: We just finished her run on Doctor Who…all the feels.
- Willa Holland: We still need her on our Arrow and Arrowverse posters
- Echo Kellum: Again, another Arrowverse person we would love to meet. Plus, I would seriously be tempted to get a Ben and Kate pic. Seriously.
- Mike Miller: DC’s Injustice is a great out of continuity comic. Mr. Miller’s artwork is a big reason for that.
- Jimmy Palmiotti: See Amanda Connor above
- Christopher Paolini: I’m pretty sure Mrs. Nola Nerd Couple would love having him sign her books.
- Matt Smith: See this blog
- Timothy Zahn: We did get the limited edition of Thrawn at Star Wars Celebration, but we didn’t get it signed.
I didn’t even mention these people who will also be there: Jason David Frank, Sean Gunn, Clare Kramer, Zachary Levi, James Mathis III, Peter Mayhew, Gates McFAdden, Dina Meyer, Danielle Panabaker, Rob Paulsen, Billie Piper, Katee Sackoff, John Wesley Shipp, Gail Simone, Rachel Skarsten, Kevin Sorbo, Jewel Staite, Karl Urban, and Ming-Na Wen.
And again, that still scratches the surface of Dragon Con. One day, one day.
As I was looking at the Louisiana Comic Con’s excellent Facebook page, I came across one of their vendor spotlight posts. This was for Big J’s comic shop. One of the first comments was “more comics at a comic con is something I fully support.” Well, here at Nola Nerd Couple we couldn’t agree more.
Louisiana Comic Con responded that they have six comic guests and at least four comics vendors, plus few vendors that will sell comics along with other items.
The comics guests are Mike Zeck, John Beatty, Rob Guillory, Kody Chamberlain, Greg Burnham, and Brian Steward. We have met most of the main celebrity guests, so for this one, I want to meet all of the comics guests. I’ve read the first volume of Chew and it has left me hungry for more. For labor day weekend, I plan on submerging myself into Mike Zeck and John Beatty’s work in Marvel comics. For Chamberlain, Burnham, and Steward, I can’t wait to read some of their work and plan on buying some directly from them. Tuskegee Heirs, Mr. Burnham’s comic, seems like it is right in my wheelhouse of interests.
You have to love a comic con that still supports comics!
Stan Lee is coming to Wizard World New Orleans! We got really excited because even though we have numerous things signed by him, we don’t have a photo op. So we go to the Wizard World web page and look up some New Orleans stuff. Then we click on their shows.
And there is one in Biloxi! What? And, how did we miss this!
I blame us being more frugal lately so that cuts down on our trips to a lot of cons. But Biloxi, you bet we are going to be there.
Here are the guests confirmed so far:
- Matt Ryan: Mr. Ryan is most famous for playing Constantine in the Arrowverse
- Craig Parker: Mrs. Nola Nerd Couple let out a shriek when she heard he was going to be there. When I realized who he is, I understood. The role she loves him for is Haldir, who fights bravely at the battle of Helm’s Deep, in the Lord of the Rings. He is also one of her favorite characters on the CW’s Reign.
- Naoko Mori: She has been a member of the BBC’s Torchwood cast as well as having a role in Everest. She was also the first ever Japanese National to play a lead role in a West End play.
- Gareth David Lloyd: Mr. Lloyd co-starred with Ms. Mori in Torchwood.
- Holly Marie Combs: Ms. Combs is known for her work on Charmed and Picket Fences.
When we know more about Wizard World Biloxi we will post here!
If you have been reading NolaNerdCouple.com the last couple of weeks, you will have noticed that we are excited about the Louisiana Comic Con. The more nerdy events in our area, the better. And any reason that gets me to Lafayette is a good idea.
The con will be held September 16 and 17 at the Cajundome. Saturday’s hours are from 10 am to 6 pm, and on Sunday the con is open from 10 am to 5 pm. It’s $25 for a single day pass, but you get a great deal if you buy weekend passes for $40. If you have a military id, you can purchase at the box office in person weekend passes for $25. Children ages 2 to 10 will only be charged $5, but also must be bought in person.
There will be professional photo ops which will be done by Wolf Studios Photograph. We have had them before, and they do a great job.
The con still is adding great guests. For me, the most impressive guest addition is John Russo. Mr. Russo is the co-writer of the screenplay for the Night of the Living Dead. He will also be appearing at a showing of The Night of the Living Dead on the 16th at the Louisiana Immersive Technologies Enterprise theater and will do a question and answer session afterward. This event is an after hours event and costs $5. Also, if you go their guest web page, you will see some of the prices for autographs, selfies, and photo-ops under each guest.
The Official After Party will be held at The Studio Downtown with 106.4 Radio Lafayette.
Hope to see you there! Well, maybe not the after party, we are kind of old! But you may catch us at The Olde Tyme Grocery after eating the best shrimp po’boy on the planet.
Louisiana Comic Con just keeps getting better. They just announced Sean Astin will be attending! Mr. Astin is most famous for his roles in The Goonies and Rudy as well as playing the hero of the Lord of the Rings Trilogy, Sean Astin. Not only is he a great guest to meet, if he does a panel, attend. He is funny and charming and has accumulated great stories in his four decades of acting.
Sometimes celebrities have to cancel cons, most often because they get another job. Actors are independent contractors with bills to pay. Shannon Purser has to cancel her appearance at the Louisiana Comic Con. Not for a job, but because she’s done her job very well. She is going to be at the Emmy’s celebrating her nomination for her role in Stranger Things. This is awesome.
Popular attractions, especially with the young ones, at cons are often vehicles from popular movies. The Jurrasic Park jeep will be at LCC and it will probably be very crowded. The vehicle is owned by Cosplayinc who will also be at the con. These people do amazing work. They often do panels as well. The deadline for panels just passed this Friday. As soon as the schedule is out
Speaking of panels, the deadline for panels just passed this Friday. As soon as the schedule is out we will definitely talk about it.
Barry Bostwick is going to Louisiana Comic Con! Brad Majors from Rocky Horror Picture Show and Mayor Randall Winston from Spin City! In fact, he created the role of Danny Zuko on Broadway. If you are a fan of his work, go meet him. His autograph price is very reasonable, and he always has great conversations with his guests (or at least he has with our friends and us!).
For comics, Greg Burnham will be there. He is co-creator of Tuskegee Heirs, a futuristic sci-fi comic that looks fondly on the past by honoring the historic Tuskegee Airmen.
They not only update what celebrities and comic creators will be there but they also actually promote the vendors. We do lots of research on cons, and this is one of the best efforts I’ve seen at promoting the entire con. One vendor, I’m looking forward to visiting is Hal Moore, an artist from Louisiana. His self-published comics sound like a book I would like, and his art looks fantastic. I also want to visit Top End Gaming’s booth even though we don’t really have much more room for our nerdy collections.
At least one of us will have our Nola Nerd Couple shirt on so if you see us come say hello!