We are three months away from Wizard World New Orleans, the biggest comic con in Louisiana. Mrs. Nola Nerd will be seven months pregnant when the con rolls around, so we are researching cosplays for the weekend.
The early guest list looks fantastic. The main attraction is Stan Lee who will be appearing only on the Saturday of the con. We have met him before, but we are thinking of doing a photo op because this might be the closest Nola Nerd Baby gets to meet Mr. Lee. Mrs. Nola Nerd Couple is excited to meet Jason Moma again. He is funny and charming, and we need him on some Game of Thrones posters. Sean Maher and Summer Glau, who played siblings on Firefly, will be in New Orleans. Looking forward to having Ms. Glau sign my Firefly poster. From Walking Dead, Austin Amelio and Lennie James sill be there on Saturday and Sunday. Ray Park, who we need on some Star Wars posters and pictures will be earning our money also that weekend. Holly Marie Combs, Jon Heder, Thomas Ian Nicholas, Nicholas Brendon and John Schneider will also be at the con. I’m most excited to meet Charisma Carpenter to add to my Buffy collections.
For comics, they already have an impressive list, and we will talk more about the whole list in the future. Two that I want to talk about now are Howard Chaykin and Mike Grell. The legendary Howard Chaykin will be at Wizard World New Orleans. We met him once before to have him sign a Star Wars variant cover. However, that was when we were just starting to get into comics. Learning more about his work, both as a writer and an artist, I can’t wait to meet him again and buy some of his work. Owning a sketch of his will be a major piece for our collections. Another creator we are looking forward to is Mike Grell. Mr. Grell has had a long career that included runs on Iron Man and Green Arrow.
Wizard World New Orleans will take place January 5, 6, and 7 2018 at the New Orleans Ernest N. Morial Center.
Well, my post this morning was premature. Wizard World has decided not to have five end of the year cons and move them to 2018. This includes Biloxi.
Here is the tweet with the annoucement:
While we are disappointed, we understand that putting on a good con takes a lot of work and more importantly time. Hopefully, the extended period allows for them to put a good show. I just hope that some of the guests that they had lined up, especially Craig Parker, who we were really excited to meet.
See you at Wizard World New Orleans!
Now that we have explained our somewhat long absence, hopefully, we can get back to writing more posts and doing more nerdy things.
The next big event that we want to do is Wizard World Biloxi. They have announced some great guest since our last post on the con.
- Jewel Statie: Best known for her work on Firefly, she will be there Saturday and Sunday.
- John Schneider: The former Duke of Hazard will be in Biloxi on Saturday and Sunday
- James Marsters: My personal favorite cast member from Buffy the Vampire Slayer will be there all weekend.
- Barry Bostwick: The star of The Rocky Horror Picture Show will be there all three days.
- Lou Ferrigno: The Incredible Hulk himself will be at the con for the weekend.
- Thomas Ian Nicholas: I never realized that the kid from Rookie of the Year grew up to be a teenager in American Pie. Mr. Nicholas will be there all three days.
The con will be held in Biloxi from October 13-15 at the Mississippi Coast Coliseum and Convention Center. Find out more at the official site!
The Louisiana Comic Con in Lafayette will take place this weekend. We are excited and so should you be!
One of the best things about any con is the panels. Here is the panel schedule:
As you can tell, the celebrity guests are going to be on the main stage. The Panel Room, however, offers something different for con goers. These panels cover a full range of topics from cosplaying, writing, and drawing.
We hope to see you at one of the panels!
Our friends at Outside the Long Box alway say how we go to cons more than anyone they know. But you know what? They have been to Dragon Con, and we haven’t.
And unfortunately, we won’t be able to go again this year. This is a shame because this con places an enormous amount of importance on creators and especially authors. It truly is a reading nerds con.
If we were going, here is just a few of the people we would want to meet:
- Kevin Anderson: Star Wars author
- John Barrowman: Would love to get a Malcolm Merlyn signed picture
- Julie Benz: I really want to start a Dexter poster, and I already have her signature for Buffy.
- Alton Brown: The guy behind Good Eats!
- Charisma Carpenter: One of the few Buffy people I haven’t met yet.
- Amanda Conner: While we have some Harley books signed, we always have more.
- Brett Dalton: Would love to add him to our Agents of Shield collection
- Kelly Sue DeConnick: Again, plenty of comics to have her signed
- Matt Fraction: His Hawkeye may be my favorite comic not named Watchmen
- Karen Gillian: We just finished her run on Doctor Who…all the feels.
- Willa Holland: We still need her on our Arrow and Arrowverse posters
- Echo Kellum: Again, another Arrowverse person we would love to meet. Plus, I would seriously be tempted to get a Ben and Kate pic. Seriously.
- Mike Miller: DC’s Injustice is a great out of continuity comic. Mr. Miller’s artwork is a big reason for that.
- Jimmy Palmiotti: See Amanda Connor above
- Christopher Paolini: I’m pretty sure Mrs. Nola Nerd Couple would love having him sign her books.
- Matt Smith: See this blog
- Timothy Zahn: We did get the limited edition of Thrawn at Star Wars Celebration, but we didn’t get it signed.
I didn’t even mention these people who will also be there: Jason David Frank, Sean Gunn, Clare Kramer, Zachary Levi, James Mathis III, Peter Mayhew, Gates McFAdden, Dina Meyer, Danielle Panabaker, Rob Paulsen, Billie Piper, Katee Sackoff, John Wesley Shipp, Gail Simone, Rachel Skarsten, Kevin Sorbo, Jewel Staite, Karl Urban, and Ming-Na Wen.
And again, that still scratches the surface of Dragon Con. One day, one day.
As I was looking at the Louisiana Comic Con’s excellent Facebook page, I came across one of their vendor spotlight posts. This was for Big J’s comic shop. One of the first comments was “more comics at a comic con is something I fully support.” Well, here at Nola Nerd Couple we couldn’t agree more.
Louisiana Comic Con responded that they have six comic guests and at least four comics vendors, plus few vendors that will sell comics along with other items.
The comics guests are Mike Zeck, John Beatty, Rob Guillory, Kody Chamberlain, Greg Burnham, and Brian Steward. We have met most of the main celebrity guests, so for this one, I want to meet all of the comics guests. I’ve read the first volume of Chew and it has left me hungry for more. For labor day weekend, I plan on submerging myself into Mike Zeck and John Beatty’s work in Marvel comics. For Chamberlain, Burnham, and Steward, I can’t wait to read some of their work and plan on buying some directly from them. Tuskegee Heirs, Mr. Burnham’s comic, seems like it is right in my wheelhouse of interests.
You have to love a comic con that still supports comics!
Stan Lee is coming to Wizard World New Orleans! We got really excited because even though we have numerous things signed by him, we don’t have a photo op. So we go to the Wizard World web page and look up some New Orleans stuff. Then we click on their shows.
And there is one in Biloxi! What? And, how did we miss this!
I blame us being more frugal lately so that cuts down on our trips to a lot of cons. But Biloxi, you bet we are going to be there.
Here are the guests confirmed so far:
- Matt Ryan: Mr. Ryan is most famous for playing Constantine in the Arrowverse
- Craig Parker: Mrs. Nola Nerd Couple let out a shriek when she heard he was going to be there. When I realized who he is, I understood. The role she loves him for is Haldir, who fights bravely at the battle of Helm’s Deep, in the Lord of the Rings. He is also one of her favorite characters on the CW’s Reign.
- Naoko Mori: She has been a member of the BBC’s Torchwood cast as well as having a role in Everest. She was also the first ever Japanese National to play a lead role in a West End play.
- Gareth David Lloyd: Mr. Lloyd co-starred with Ms. Mori in Torchwood.
- Holly Marie Combs: Ms. Combs is known for her work on Charmed and Picket Fences.
When we know more about Wizard World Biloxi we will post here!