Sorry for the lack of blogs this week, but it was Mardi Gras which meant it was a holiday for us. In the meantime, a lot of Cons in driving distance from NOLA had quite a few guest announcements.
The already stellar list of comic writers and artists has grown. This and Fan Expo Dallas (who we will spotlight in it’s own update on Monday) have some of the greatest lineups of comics we have seen at a con.
- Amanda Conner, Jimmy Palmiotti, and Chad Hardin, the team behind Harley Quinn, will be at MegaCon. Mrs. Nola Nerd Couple has met Ms. Conner and Mr. Palmiotti before but her Harley Quinn collection has grown since then and I’m sure she will be bring them all!
- Artist Phil Jimenez will also be at MegaCon. He has worked on WonderWoman with MegaCon guest, Gail Simone. Other credits include Infinite Crisis with Geoff Johns and did a few titles with Grant Morrison. He is currently writing and drawing the Superwoman Rebirth series for DC.
- Skottie Young is writing and illustrating his own series I Hate Fairyland for Image comics. He has worked on Fortunately, The Milk by Neil Gaiman and has written and illustrated for Rocket Raccoon for Marvel.
- Kaare Andrews will also appear at MegaCon. He is an Eisner nominee for best cover artist for his work on The Incredible Hulk. He has done some cover work for Darth Vader. He has also done a run on Iron Fist both as writer and penciller. He has his own creator owned comic with Renato Jones: The One% for Image Comics.
- Jonboy Meyers will be doing the pencil work for the upcoming Royals comics featuring the Inhumans for Marvel. He has also worked on Teen Titans for DC.
- Marc Andreyko will also be appearing at MegaCon. His run on Manhunter is one of his best known series, and he has worked with Clive Barker on NightBreed. He has worked on WonderWoman ’77 as well as various Batman and Batwoman titles. He also wrote Death of Hawkman.
- Kevin Maguire is a penciller who has worked on Justice League, Captain America, X-Men, and Guardians of the Galaxy.
- Clay Mann has done work on Trinity and art for Poison Ivy: Cycle of Life and Death. He has also done work for Variant
- Paul Mounts is longtime artist who has worked on Fantastic Four and Ultimates. He also did the art for the Squalor series for Caliber Comics. He is also part of a collboration effort called Paperfilms with Jimmy Palmiotti and Amanda Conner and other writers and artists.
- Pat Broderick has worked on Micronauts and Batman: Year Three with Marv Wolfman.
You add these names to list that also include Scott Snyder, Tom King, Greg Capullo, Mitch Gerads, Greg Rucka, Gail Simone, and Stan Lee, and you have one of the most impressive lineups for comic book artists you will find anywhere outside of San Diego.
In other Mega Con news, they added Felicia Day to their celebrity lineup. This after Mrs. Nola Nerd Couple bought me an autograph of her! Oh well, will just have to get a second one.
ComicPalooza has also been busy adding guests to their lineup.
- The new Iron Fist, Finn Jones, will be going to Houston. We have met him before at a really small con and he was basically one of the nicest people ever. We are really excited to meet him again.
- Lance Henriksen is one of the most underrated character actors around. His parts on Aliens, The Terminator, and The Right Stuff always seemed larger than they were because it was so good in those parts. Frank Black in the Millennium is one of my favorite TV characters of all time. I am really excited to get a chance to meet one of my favorite actors.