Some couples enjoy sports together. Other couples go hunting or fishing together. If you haven’t noticed, the Nola Nerd Couple likes to do nerdy things together. We love going to cons, watching movies together, and reading comics. While we definitely have our own tastes different fandoms of nerdy things, one area we always agree on is Star Wars.
Here is our year in Star Wars:
- New Orleans Wizard World 2016: Cristina has decided to collect all variants of Star Wars #1 of the new Marvel run. This might be a fool’s errand in that there are over a 100 of them, but she does have around 80 or so. At Wizard World New Orleans she got Greg Horn, a designer of one of the covers, to sign his book. Of course, at this con, we saw plenty of Star Wars cosplay.
- In late January, we attended Chewbaccus. Chewbaccus is a nerd-themed Mardi Gras parade that occurs in the Bywater district in New Orleans. Named after our favorite Wookie, this parade is comprised of nerdy groups who put on one of the city’s best parade. The Leiarettes, a dance troupe of women dressed as Princess Leia in A New Hope, is always a crowd favorite.
- Pensacon 2016: We met Sim Witwer who voices Darth Maul and other characters on the Clone Wars and on Rebels. We also met Mark Dodson who provides the voice for Salacious B. Crumb. We also got another variant signed by Bob McLeod.
- In March, we won a special Comic-Con Box that included a three foot Darth Vader and other Star Wars items. We weren’t expecting it and Mrs. Nola Nerd Couple was super excited to win it.
- Mrs. Nola Nerd Couple signed up to do a half-marathon in April 2016. However, unforeseen events beyond our control caused a major reshifting of work her way. She downgraded to the 10K. So what does this have to do with Star Wars? It was the Disney Inaugural Star Wars Dark Side 10K. The race was Star Wars themed and there were plenty of Star Wars related things we got to do because of it. Mrs. Nola Nerd Couple’s sister did compete in and complete the half marathon!
- At Space City Con in May, we got to meet renown Star Wars artist Dave Dorman who did a Star Wars #1 variant. Mr. Dorman will be at Pensacon 2017 and we highly recommend you check out his artwork.
- In June, we did a podcast that discussed Wizard World Philadelphia and we also discussed Star Wars variants. We also did another podcast where we talked about Star Wars here.
- Also, in June, I wrote a long rant about canon and gatekeepers. I did focus a little on Star Wars.
- At the end of June, we got to meet the star of Star Wars Rebels, Taylor Gray.
- Ms. Nola Nerd Couple has been collecting the Star Wars comics since the new Marvel run has come out. I’m reading them a little behind her schedule. Here are my reviews of what I read so far.
- Mrs. Nola Nerd Couple has long been a fan of Star Wars Clone Wars and Rebels. I’m jumping to the ship a little later than she is. Here are my takes on theses shows:
- In October, I ranted how hard it is to read about Star Wars without being spoiled. Spoiler: Contents of movies and books not provided by LucasFilm, Marvel, and/or Disney is not news, it’s spoilers.
- In November, I offered up some Star Wars stories I would like to read/see. Some were tongue in cheeck but I do think we need a movie called Many Bonthas: A Star Wars Story.
- In December, I gave a way too early look at Star Wars Celebration 2017.
- Yesterday, we said goodbye to our favorite Star Wars Princess and General, Carrie Fisher.
We hope to bring you more news about Star Wars in 2017. Like 2016, we will post all Star Wars related events to our blog/podcast, but we will also do more reblogging and sharing of links for Star Wars. Wednesdays have been designated as Star Wars days at Nola Nerd Couple so keep checking back here for your Star Wars fix.