The Nola Nerd Couple podcast is back! We actually found time to go to the movies so we discuss the last two films we saw: Doctor Strange and Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them. We also do a preview of Wizard World New Orleans. We also argue over what is a spoiler!
Of course, he is known for more than just wrestling where he goes by the name Batista. His role as Dax in Guardians of the Galaxy was more than a comic relief. By playing him so well he became an actual role model for a boy with autism. He was also the menacing henchmen in 2015’s Spectre, the latest James Bond film.
He will be doing a panel with fellow Guardians of the Galaxy stars Micheal Rooker and Sean Gunn.
Again, Mrs. Nola Nerd Couple was so happy Bautista is coming to New Orleans that she bought the VIP within minutes of the announcement. The VIP comes with a 3-day weekend admission, a tote badge, early entry on Saturday and Sunday, and a Speed pass for his autograph and photo-op. Of course, she gets an autograph and a photo-op. She has graciously allowed me to appear in the photo. Of course, if there is someone else you would like to get a VIP for, then click here to see what is offered.
In addition to Batista, Wizard World New Orleans has also announced WWE Superstar Finn Balor will be attending as well. Other new guests that have been announced are Steven Yeun from The Walking Dead, Nestor Carbonell (The Dark Night, Lost), and Lou Ferrigno (The Incredible Hulk). A few new artists has been added as well. Ty Templeton, an Eisner Award Winner, will be there as will Billy Martin and Steve Geiger.
Wizard World New Orleans will be held January 6-8, 2017 at the New Orleans Ernest N. Morial Convention Center.
Every year, Record Store Day releases some exclusive content for Black Friday. On this podcast, Mrs. Nola Nerd Couple joins me to describe our quest to find all the albums we wanted. We visited four record stores in New Orleans on Black Friday. Were we successful? Give a listen to find out.
Thanksgiving’s centerpiece is the turkey. However, the star needs some sides to go with it. Here are a couple of sides that can be made quickly that other people enjoy:
Green Bean Casserole: This is one of the dishes that I make that I hate. However, every time I make it people enjoy it and we rarely have seconds. The amount of ingredients is based on the size of your dish. Add enough green beans to fill the dish about three-quarters to the top. Add enough cream of mushroom soup to completely mix with the green beans. Add some cajun seasoning and Worcestershire sauce (I’m very liberal with both). Add some milk for extra crispiness if you desire. Cover with pre-fried onion rings and add another seasoning of cajun seasoning. Bake for 20 minutes at 400 degrees. And in my case, watch other people enjoy.
Artichoke Au Gratin: Again, used enough canned artichokes to fill the dish you cooking with. However, I would chop them before you put them in the dish. Combine the artichokes with evaporated milk (one 5 oz can for every can of artichokes you use), parmesan cheese to your liking and cover with crushed croutons, of which I usually choose garlic croutons. You can add some more parmesan here as well. Cook for 15 minutes at 50 degrees or until it bubbles up.
Dauphinoise Potatoes: Slice some potatoes about 1/8 inch round. Briefly boil them, about 10 minutes. Drain the water and add some heavy cream or evaporated milk (about 5 oz for 2 people so multiply from there. Bring this to a boil and cook for 5 more minutes. Add parmesan to taste. Transfer to baking dish and top with plenty of parmesan. Cook for 15 minutes or until the parmesan browns somewhat. These are just easy sides that don’t that much time and have ingredients that are usually on hand.
These are just easy sides that don’t that much time and have ingredients that are usually on hand. However, using real parmesan will improve the quality of the last two dishes.
Happy Thanksgiving from the Nola Nerd Couple!
We started Nola Nerd Couple as a way to tell our travel stories. In fact, we used to be called cooktraveleat.com. But then we realized we wanted to do more nerdy things, and in turn, write about them. While unexpected events kept us from writing more blogs (lesson planning comes first), we do still try to go on our nerdy adventures. This may mean a trip to Philadelphia to meet Tom Hiddleston or one to the Kenner boat launch to catch Pokemon.
We just wanted to take a moment to thank anyone who reads our reviews, our travel tales, our comic con chronicles. We know the internet is full of blogs similar to ours, and it means the world to us if you took the time to read one blog or all of them. We appreciate it truly and nothing makes us happier than talking to someone who says they read the blog or whenever we get a comment or like from a stranger. It makes us want to do our best to keep this blog going.
In other words, we are not only thankful for being able to live the life we do lead, but even more thankful for having you in it.
Happy Thanksgiving from Nola Nerd Couple!
Along with Wizard World New Orleans, Pensacon is one of our favorite cons. Occurring in February, Pensacon is a short three hour drive from New Orleans. Each year we have gone, it has been worth the trip.
First a look at the celebrity guests:
- Jason David Frank: The former Mighty Morphin’ Power Ranger is always a crowd favorite.
- Tara Reid: If you go take a look at her IMDB page, she has done quite a bit of work all over the map. She was in The Big Lebowski, Cruel Intentions, American Pie, and Scrubs. And of course, the Sharknado franchise.
- Ric Flair: Whoooo!
- Sam J. Jones: He saved the universe as Flash Gordon.
- Gates McFadden: Back in college had a huge crush on Dr. Beverly Crusher. I’ve met her before and she is sweet as can be.
- Jeremy Bulloch: Boba Fett himself. We have met him multiple times and his very accommodating to his fans.
- Nicholas Lea: I’ve been thinking about starting an X-Files poster for some time. I probably will start at Pensacon.
- Matt Ryan: While we didn’t watch Constantine, we did love Matt Ryan on arrow.
- Scott Wilson: Go look at his IMDB page. He has an impressive body of work. He had major roles in In the Heat of the Night and In Cold Blood. While most fans will be there to get his autograph on The Walking Dead pictures, I really want a picture of him for his work in Damien.
- John Wesley Shipp: Barry Allen and Jay Garrick all rolled into one!
- Rene Auberjonois: What do you get signed by this man? A picture from MASH? Benson? Star Trek: Deep Space Nine?
- Terry Farewell: Man, I really need to back and watch all of Deep Space Nine!
- Ted Raimi: Ms. Nola Nerd Couple was beyond excited when Pensacon announced he would be there!
- Virginia Madsen: She is part of the Candyman cast that will be at Pensacon, but I might ask her to sign a bottle of merlot.
- Gemma Whelan: Ms. Nola Nerd Couple will defitely have the actress that plays Yara Greyjoy sign her Game of Thrones poster.
- Mitch Pileggi: Mulder and Scully’s boss on X-Files. A neo-nazi on Sons of Anarchy. Which one do I get him to sign for?
- William B. Davis: If I do get that X-Files, the Smoking Man needs to be on it.
- Ellie Kendrick: Another guest to be on our Game of Thrones poster, she plays Meera Reed.
- David Bradley: Argus Filch. Walder Frey. I’m expecting long lines for Mr. Bradley.
- Mick Foley: We don’t normally meet wrestlers but I might have to with Ric Flair and Mick Foley in attendance.
- James Marsters: Mr. Marsters played my favorite character on Buffy, Spike. We have met him before and he is always entertaining. If he does a panel, attend.
- Walter Koenig: Mr. Chekov on the original Star Trek. I’ve met him twice before and barely utter a word. That’s how I get around original cast memebers.
- Tim Rose: The actor inside Admiral Ackbar’s suit. He will definately take time out to talk to you if you make small talk. We met him at Celebration a couple of years ago and he was a blast.
- Sylvester McCoy: The seventh doctor and Radagast from the Hobbit. We have his signature for both and if you are fan of both series, we highly recommend you go out and meet him.
- Mike Zapcic and Ming Chen: Two of AMC’s Comic Book men will be there.
- Sven-Ole Thorsen: I’m not sure if we have his autograph on our Mallrats poster. If not, you will see us in his line.
- Matt Gerald: Mr. Gerald plays one of the more interesting characters on Daredevil, Melvin Potter. We have two of the writers signature on a Daredevil poster, we might add to it.
Ok…I’m estimating the cost of every signature we want to be….$1237. We might have to pare that down a bit. Luckily, Pensacon always gets great guests and plenty of these guest are repeaters. And I can’t blame them. It’s a great con in a great city.
Plus they always have great artists. This year is no exception with guests such as Neal Adams, Dave Dorman, Kelly Yates, Pat Broderick, and Jose Delbo. Pensacon always has interesting panels and events, which we will talk about when we get closer to the con.
Pensacon will be held February 17-19. If any more news about Pensacon comes about, we post about it. We plan on doing a Comic-Con watch blog every Monday so keep checking back!.
This week on Mr. Nola Nerd Couple’s music podcast, I review a concert by Peter Hook and Light at the Republic in New Orleans. Mr. Hook played all of New Order’s Substance as well as Joy Division’s album of the same name. It was a great night of music and one that has made me go back and listen to a lot of Joy Division and New Order. The venue, the Republic, was perfect. I also talk about the movie Control, which depicts the life of Joy Division’s lead singer, Ian Curtis.
Joy Division: Substance
New Order: Substance isn’t available for streaming. You can find it on amazon.
Control (available for streaming on Amazon Prime).